Choose love

 Hello world.


I'm posting a bit later than usual this week. It's a Friday; end of the week, beginning of the week-end. Almost my favourite part of the week.

I have to be honest... This quarantine period has been... enlightening to say the least. I say it as though it's ending because God-willing it is ending for me. I've learnt so much about myself and my family. I picked up some new skills which I'm grateful for. I got to know God a bit better and establish intentional time for Him everyday. I discovered the need to empathise with people and intentionally check up on them. Doesn't matter if they're halfway across the world or right next to you. If you love someone, you should be intentional about loving them and caring for them.

See how I'm using that word "intentional" a lot. I'm beginning to understand it's importance. I felt a really deep conviction to love people more intentionally this quarantine. And cause the world isn't fair, it became so much harder. It's like all of a sudden, I started judging people a lot more and seeing more things to hate than love. The worst thing is that, I always felt so bad when I felt that way or when I lashed out and I started rebuking those feelings in myself every time they came. That was the wrong approach to the problem. 

You see, burying a problem doesn't destroy it. It just makes it tomorrow's problem. I'm learning that you need to work through those emotions. Talk to God, write about them, take a walk, listen to music. Sort out those emotions, and then change your response. If you're just sitting and criticising someone in your head, try thinking of something awesome about them. If you can't, ask God to show you. If you're really mad, take deep breaths. Maybe go take that walk, listen to that music, scream in your pillow if you have to! I'm just learning that loving people, honouring them, cannot be an emotion-based action. You can't decide whether to love someone based on what they do, cause they'll slip up. You don't have to be best friends with everyone, you don't have to trust everyone, but love them. You know way too little about someone to judge them based on the moment. And you never know how much healing could come to someone as a result of your love.

Love is an every-moment decision. The fact that you made it yesterday won't help you if you don't choose to make it in this very moment.

Choose love and be blessed as you do so.


Dera


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Was MJ right?

Nigeria, America and the UK

Are you a perfectionist?