I'm not an advocate yet...

I'm growing up and I can't say it's all fun. I've been rewatching some old childhood shows and have been noticing subtle racist and sexist undertones. In an episode of Victorious, Robbie's puppet said 'he called you fro cause your hair's all silly'. A little while ago, this statement may have meant nothing to me. But I'm growing up and I'm realising how the world has normalised dissing and putting down black attributes, features and people. A lot of black people have 'fros' and I can assure you that there is nothing silly about your hair being able to defy the laws of gravity! Also, I have no idea why women are trained to be mothers and wives. A woman, just like anyone else, is a human being. The totality of her life and who she is cannot be summed up to being a wife or a mother. Both roles are incredibly important and valuable, but we should focus on raising our children to be good human beings. Not to be good in a particular role we've decided is enough for them. And I don't only mean women. The world hasn't changed so much. A lot of the things plaguing us right now have been plaguing us for centuries. It seems that we are in a bad habit of repeating our mistkaes. Even though the world around me may not have changed much, I am changing. And I choose not to blissfully ignorant of the way the world rationalises, normalises and justifies racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination. I'm not an advocate yet, just a concerned human. God bless. Dera

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Was MJ right?

Nigeria, America and the UK

Are you a perfectionist?