To categorize or not to categorize?


Happy Friday,

Recently, I heard someone propose that we destroy categories like countries that people identify so strongly with and that strongly divide us as a species. And to a certain extent, I understand. We are a more globalised world than our ancestors could ever have dreamt of. But at the same time, we are such separate people. We argue all the time when we have differences of opinion. And even when we belong to the same group (whatever group that may be) we find a way to further divide and separate ourselves. So I do understand why people would want to get rid of countries. I understand why you would want to get rid of categories and divisions. I really do. But the more dominant side of me can’t help but disagree. A huge part of the reason why we argue so much with each other is because we’re different and we have different experiences. We didn’t grow up the same way or live through the same situations and so we have different perspectives. When we are unwilling to recognise this fact, we get knee deep into passionate and oftentimes aggressive conversations about who is right and wrong. Maybe sometimes, things are that clear. But most of the time, you can’t just determine the black and white of a situation. In times like that, being surrounded by people who understand and relate can make a huge difference. I’m not saying that we can’t understand each other even if we have different backgrounds (if we did, we would save ourselves countless dramatic interactions), but we generally don’t. And even when we do, there is something special about being around people who can really understand you. I’m not best friends with everyone from my country. I’m not best friends with everyone who shares my faith or goes to my school or is pursuing the same career path as me. I’m not a fan of every female and I’m not a fan of every 17 year old. But when I am able to relate with people on theses fundamental, basic categories, it is truly one of the best feelings ever; talking to someone and knowing that they really do understand. Not just because they’re working overtime to picture the situation, but because they’ve lived it, seen it or experienced it themselves.

So even though I am all in favour of intentional listening and going the extra mile to understand people, I don’t think we should be so quick to dismantle and destroy the communities that may have been people’s lifelines in their darkest moments. These communities don’t necessarily have to consist of people from the same country or background, but I think as people, we inevitably form these communities or ‘categories’ to give ourselves a vital sense of belonging when we feel out of place. We weren’t meant to do life alone and being able to find those people who really do understand you can transform the way you are able to view your circumstances and can enable you to give yourself grace when you go through hard times.

These are just my thoughts. Let me know if you think differently.

God bless.

Dera

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Was MJ right?

Nigeria, America and the UK

Are you a perfectionist?