A better world


Hello there,

It has been a long and yet incredibly quick week. I spent the majority of this last week buried knee and soul deep in a series of books that one of my friends had introduced me to. It reminded me of my younger self; a girl that could get lost and lost in the stories of those so different from her because she could relate to their humanity even if she couldn't relate to their experiences. It's been a while since I've been able to read just for the sake of doing it and these books were a great reminder of all that reading can be.

I also think it was easier to be consumed in the books than to spend a spare moment considering what has been going on in the world this last week. I remember having conversations with friends just last week where people were adamant that Russia would never actually invade. And overnight... overnight, the world changed. Ignorance is a luxury. And it's so easy to be disengaged when it's not you. When it's not your blood. When it's not your home. But my heart aches for the friends and the people that are learning about war way too early. Who have had to leave everything they know and everyone they love behind to fight for their country. For a better world. Coincidentally, the book I was reading had this ideal at its foundation too. People from all over the world banded together to save one territory, with the hope that their stand would clear the way for a better world. What if that's what we need to do right now? For Ukraine? Outside intervention can be tricky, especially when we as helpers do not ask for where or how help is needed. But I don't think that's the problem here. There are more than enough people that are showing us how we can help. The real issue lies with each of us deciding if we want to help. If the threat is great enough, real enough to us to trigger action.

We can't speak for the dead, but we can fight for the living.

God bless.

Dera

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Was MJ right?

Nigeria, America and the UK

Are you a perfectionist?