My 50 cents


Hello there,

I wasn't really sure what to write about today... but as I began to stare at the blank screen in front of me, something finally came to mind. It stems from some of the posts I've already written, so just bear with me if you're a regular.

Last week I was talking about how as people, we are very fond of comparing ourselves to other people and even to our own past selves in unhealthy ways. In the same way, I think we tend to come up with reasons why we aren't able to do things that we have the opportunity, strength and maybe even responsbility to do. Age was particularly on my mind today and I was thinking about how we covet certain ages and almost use that as an excuse to do nothing in our youth, waiting for that moment when we finally become adults and 'can' do things. When we become adults, we wait until we have that job or those savings or that partner. And I think it's great to make plans and to have vision, but sometimes, I think we use these target ages or points in our lives to limit what we do right now and when we finally get to those places and ages (and realise how unchanged things are), we get disappointed. It's not the new year or the new age that spurs on that change you want. It's not the new partner or the new job or the new friend or school or opportunity. The changes we need to make in our lives to become those people we were made to be and do those things we were made for start with a decision that these changes are necessary and that they are necessary now. We need to work on us and work towards those things instead of setting arbitrary timelines and then making no moves towards achieving them.

God bless

Dera

Comments

  1. This is so true Chidera! A lot of times, we are tempted to procrastinate taking little steps towards achieving big things. As a result, we decide to wait for the "perfect timing" which may be in adulthood without realising that the perfect timing is now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Was MJ right?

Nigeria, America and the UK

Are you a perfectionist?