My phone, my crutch


The other day, my siblings and I were talking about our high school. We went to a boarding school in a little known state in Nigeria for our six years of secondary school and my brother had commented on how much better our experience would have been if we were allowed to bring phones. My sister and I immediately jumped on his argument and disagreed, stating that we believed it would've made things really bad. Personally, I have very strong introvert tendencies. I'm more comfortable on my own or with well established friendships and my idea of a comfort zone is a situation in which I don't have to go out and talk to people I don't know or mingle and come up with small talk. The beauty of secondary school (despite all its flaws) and the camps that I was able to attend as a younger teen was that not having a phone MADE me stop and look at the people around me. There was no cushy comfort pillow for me or for the people around me to land on when we didn't want to talk anymore. We learnt to ask questions about the people around us and we learnt when a conversation was over and grew comfortbale with letting it end without awkwardness (at least most of the time).

My brother was saying that if you really want to talk to someone, you will, with or without a phone. And he's right. But I also think there's something to be said about creating that atmosphere. You can't force people to talk to each other, even if you take away their phones. But I think we would be lying to say we cannot recognise how distracting they are. And if you are a regular instagram scroller like me, then it's also a lot easier to be on your phone than it is to have to make formal conversation with someone. It's easier to pick up your phone when the conversation dies down than maybe say bye to the people around you as you leave or come up with another topic. I remember my first day of post-secondary school (the IB). I was a really new student (newer than the other new students cause I had to quarantine cause of COVID). I didn't really know anyone. And normally, I would have had to join a conversation, start one or sit in silence by myself. On this particular day, I didn't have to choose any of these because for the first time ever, I had my phone. And so I stayed in that corner and I scrolled through instagram, probably looking pretty nonchalant and uninvolved to the people around me while struggling with insecurity on the inside.

All this to say... phones aren't evil. And I don't know how else I would've been able to stay in such good touch with friends and family living oceans away during COVID lockdowns without it. But it has been a crutch for me. It has been a distraction for me, to the point that it feels like I can't even be watching a movie without simultaneoulsy using instagram or whatsapp anymore. Having my phone so accessible all the time has made it a lot harder for me to master the art of stillness, something that I didn't have a choice in learning before. But I guess that as we grow, it becomes less a matter of 'we have to and there's no other choice' and more a matter of ' I can choose and I choose this'.

God bless.

Dera

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was MJ right?

Nigeria, America and the UK

Are you a perfectionist?