Resolutions


So, with the new year coming around, I’m starting to see a lot of ‘resolution based’ and advice based content online. You see, personally, I don’t think resolutions are bad. Obviously, thinking that you need a new year to come around to make a resolution is flawed thinking that I definitely fall prey to. The idea that we need a significant change of time to make key decisions and changes can quickly become an obstacle to actually changing when you realise you need to. Having said that, there is something special about a new year. A new academic year or new semester is a clean slate. But a new year is different. It’s like getting a reboot. A whole 365, or 366, days to do better. The thing is, if you’re gonna think like that (which isn’t necessarily a bad way to think), then you need to recognise that progress won’t be linear. I’ve struggled with that a lot. I like feedback. I like to be able to see if I’m getting better or not and how I’m improving. Am I doing better than I was yesterday? Last week? Last month? I struggled a bit with my faith this year, as I tried to figure out what progress really looked like. I think part of the problem was definitely me thinking that ultimately, I was meant to get to some place where I wouldn’t struggle anymore. Not even that I wouldn’t struggle as much, but that I wouldn’t struggle period. Thinking like that could only lead to disappointment as I was faced with my human frailty and inability to do the things I really wanted to do. And so I started praying to view progress in the right way. Nothing ruins good resolutions better than having the wrong definition of progress. When I realised my previous definition was flawed and took a step back to really evaluate myself, I realised I was more aware of my areas of weaknesses - can’t work on something you don’t know needs work. And that is progress. I may still feel completely unable to handle those shortcomings, but I’m grateful that I can even recognise them, that I’m not unaware. With my relationships, I was able to trace the root of my insecurities and was able to start recognising the thought patterns and beliefs and habits that were based on those insecurities. And that hasn’t necessarily been a fun process. It hasn’t felt like I’ve been getting better. But I now know that this anxious, judgmental, insecure mindset and belief system isn’t me and I’m excited to get to know who I am as those things are stripped away. So yeah, just wanted to clarify to someone out there that progress doesn’t always feel good and it doesn’t always show on the outside. It’s easy to get discouraged if you’re looking for only tangible signs or if you think it has to look the way it looked before. You can be growing and hurting. The stretch hardly ever feels good, but if we want to grow, we have to embrace the discomfort.

For me, that has also looked a lot like recognising my inability to be good on my own. Good is a quality that is intrinsic to God and trying to be good without seeking God is pretty much impossible. When we try to do it on our own and when I’ve tried to do it on my own, I feel the weight every time I fail. And even when I feel like I succeed, all I can think about is the next time I’m going to have to ‘perform’ or the next thing that can go wrong that I’ll have to be ahead of. We weren’t made to carry all that pressure on our own and quite frankly, we can’t handle it. Trying to be a better Christian, student, daughter, sister, roommate, friend, person and whatever else has looked a lot like recognising that my weakness is a part of me. But that God’s strength is a part of me too. I can’t be everything to myself and for myself and expecting something of myself that I was never made to give will always leave me wanting. This year, I had to face my inability to be the person I wanted to be on my own. I was still judgmental and hurtful to people I loved even though I didn’t want to be. I failed at things I tried and did things that I knew weren’t good for me and drowned in regret. I need God. We need God. Life is hard; much harder when we try to do it with our own limited bank of strength.

And that’s one of my biggest hopes for this new year. I want to be stronger. That’s what progress looks like now. I may still be struggling with the same thought patterns and mindsets and insecurities, but I want to be stronger in resisting them and fighting the truth with lies. I want to be more secure in the fact that I am not going to give in and that I will continue to fight these things. It’s been a beautiful thing; disassembling my previous definition of strong which was mainly based in being able to act like nothing bothered me or got to me, projecting this image of perfection and unshakenness to the work. I’m still not the type of person that just breaks down in public. But I’m getting to the place where I realise that admitting to struggling does not stain my character and if that really does change my reputation to people, then those are not the type of people I need in my space. Difficult things happen in life and I want to have the attitude that enable me to deal with them, but I don’t want to pretend to be this unfeeling, unthinking person so that people will think I’m strong. No one should have to do that. And I’m grateful to be surrounded by people I can be honest with.

Hope this is some good food for thought ahead of the New Year tomorrow.

God bless,

Dera

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria, America and the UK

Was MJ right?

Are you a perfectionist?